Feb 14, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Author: Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #1
Published: Jan 2011
Goodreads

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
 
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
 
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
 
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
________________________________________________________

I just spent the last few hours organizing my to-read list on Goodreads. It was not how I planned to spend that time, but it just sucked me in. It was in complete disarray. There were books that had been on there for a year and a half, and all of the books that I want to read right now, were on the last page. So be careful, your to-read list can be dangerous!

Now, on to the review. Unearthly was completely and delightfully delicious. Think of your favorite dessert (mine is Paradise Pie from Chili's).. got it? It's better than that. And I ain't lyin' either. Unearthly had a perfect blend of beautiful setting, lovable characters, and a writing that will literally knock your socks off. Just like my to-read list, the story sucked me in and I stayed up way too late trying to finish it. Oh, who am I fooling? I stayed up way too late and I DID finish it.

Love Clara. Love, love, love Tucker. Ambivalent towards Christian for most of the book, but he surprised me in the end. I thought Clara's best friends were incredibly unique and perfect for her in their own ways. Clara's family was awesome, and I'm happy to read about a teen who comes from a semi-functional family. I so want to go to Jackson Hole now. Did I mention that I adore Tucker? I loved that the relationship between the two progressed normally. This is no Bella and Edward deal here, folks. This is the way healthy teen relationships should go! Hooray for dating and going on dates! And oh, I love Tucker. Just in case you forgot.

What I really wanted to talk about was the ending. In the vaguest way possible, of course. Fate took center stage in this novel. There was a lot of talk about destiny, purposes and missions. The end is cliff hanger, but not in the way I'm used too. Ms. Hand didn't cut us off in the middle of action, or leave us biting our nails about the romance. Clara made a choice, and that choice was contrary to what she was destined to do. The biggest question is what the divine being in charge of Clara's life/fate/destiny is going to do now that she seemingly chose the wrong path? What are the consequences if we choose the wrong path? If we don't choose the path that fate dictates? Maybe that's not the message that Ms. Hand is trying to portray (if there's a message at all), but that's what I came away with. I must have been in a weird mood when reading the book. Or something.

I'm intrigued and excited to continue on with Clara's story. It's unique and unlike any other young adult angel series I've read before. And bonus, the cover is gorgeous. It seems like these cover artists are really steppin' it up these days. They're puttin' out some great stuff!

P.S. Happy Valentine's Day! I'm spending it alone, since hubs is working all night. Bummer. But I have a really great movie to watch and I'm chowin' down on homemade chocolate chip cookies.

P.P.S. Look! ----------------------------------------------------------------->

All the spaces on my follower widget are taken up! WOO HOO!!

No comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP