Apr 9, 2011

In Which I Get Sucked Into the Contemporary Romance Genre

It all started when I read the synopsis for The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis. I had never heard of her before, but I had seen her newest release around the blogosphere and I finally tracked it down on Goodreads. I knew I had to read it. Unfortunately, it hadn't been released yet and so I couldn't read it right then. Bummer.

Since I was in the mood, I cast about for another story that would satisfy me until my craving was met. I happened upon Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgans. I have only read one novel by her and it was a long time ago, so I reacquainted myself with the awesomeness of Kristan Higgans. Just One of the Guys was such a wonderful read! It even made me cry, which is unusual for a contemporary romance. I became so invested in the story and the character's lives that I completely forgot everything else around me. Thank goodness I read it after my munchkin went to bed, because obliviousness with a six month old does not go well together.

After reading that book, I realized that I had been spending far too much time with young adults and was desperately craving some sweet, mature romance. I then moved on to Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis, since I figured it would be better to read the first book in the series before the second. Loved it! It made me laugh and hot dang, was Jax (the main male squeeze) a hot one. This was my first introduction to Jill Shalvis and I was not disappointed in the least. Her characters are funny, quirky and the personalities of each mesh well together to create a story worth reading.

Still in the mood, I moved on to All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins. It was only okay. I am so in love with Just One of the Guys, that anything would have a hard time following it. My favorite part was the sunny, upbeat attitude of Callie, the heroine.

Then I happened upon a review of Hidden Away by Maya Banks, and I couldn't resist an action packed series about six delicious brothers. Hidden Away is the third novel in the series, and was just released. This was another first timer for me. I had never read Maya Banks before, and I was pleased with the outcome. If you like Alpha males, this book is for you. There is nothing sexier than a possessive man who thinks of you as "mine." Oh, be still my heart.

I was still jonesing for The Sweetest Thing, but I had a few days yet before it was released. So, on to a few more time fillers. Next up: My One and Only by Kristan Higgins. I think I've had enough of her for awhile. This was her newest release I believe, and again.. it was only okay. The main female character, Harper James, was a witch with a capital B. I didn't even like her until the very end. And I'm talking last few pages end. Why did I read the whole thing, do you ask? Well, Nick, the ex-husband and hero, was uber sexy and smoldering. I just had to see if he had a happy ending.

Finally, finally.. I was able to get a hold of The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis. The instigator of this whole adventure. I am in love with the men of Lucky Harbor. Holy smokes, they're hot. This is a really great series, and I highly recommend it for whenever you're in the mood to completely lose yourself in sweet, mature romances.

And now, I've moved back into the young adult realm. Don't worry, I'll spare you the details. I feel like I've gone on a binge or something. A contemporary romance binge. Interesting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you went on a quality contemp binge at least. :) You need to mix it up now and then!

I love Maya Banks - she always makes me cry (well, the KGI series, not so much). She's good at the smut. ;)

Blodeuedd said...

Lol, nice post :) I understand, lately I have been reading a lot of contemporary romance

Angiegirl said...

I went on a Kristan Higgins binge not long ago and it was blissful. Just what the doctor ordered. I've never tried Jill Shalvis. May need to see about that. They sound like lots of fun.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP